Re: New PGSQL and Linux Setup on Old Box

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New PGSQL and Linux Setup on Old Box
Date: 2005-08-30 18:57:59
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-odbc

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 10:32:34 -0700,
operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

> can pgsql 8.0x run fine on such an old computer? if
> so, is vectorlinux a good choice? are there any other
> distros that allow for easy installation of the latest
> version of postgres?

It will definitely run on older hardware, but it may not be able to run
fast enough depending on what you are trying to do. If you just want to
learn how to get it running, play with some toy sized databases and
maybe develop some simple web applications using postgres as the DB
you should be able to do that.

I am not familiar with vectorlinux. I don't remember anyone making any
packages for it for postgres. If you want to build from source there shouldn't
be a problem, but if you want the equivalent of RPMs you might have problems.

Also, since it sounds like you are using this system to play, I would
recommend playing with the 8.1 beta releases. There are some nice new features
and if you end up deploying a real system later based on postgres your time
will be better spent learning 8.1 than 8.0.