Frank's Q&A

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, frankw(at)greenplum(dot)com
Subject: Frank's Q&A
Date: 2005-08-08 17:11:22
Lists: sfpug

Frank,

>   * Largest production db?  (I see 32TB in the PostgreSQL FAQ, who is
> that?)

That was RedSheriff, at marketing data warehouse in Australia. Shortly after
the article, they were acquired by another company and the new management
declined to respond to requests for a case study.

Databases in the 1TB to 2TB range are relatively common now.

> * Number of production databases?

Good luck. Something between 1/2 and one million people have installed
PostgreSQL 8.0 by our estimates. I've no idea how to come up with an
installation/production ratio.

>   * Names of Fortune 500 or Global 150 companies using product?

Fujitsu
Cisco
ADP
Unisys
Sun
Sony
Ameritrade
GM
... off the top of my head. And, of course, lots of government agencies.
Personally, I suspect that 95% of the Fortune 500 are using PostgreSQL at
least on a departmental basis; we just don't know about all of them.

>   * Administrative tools?  (pgadminIII, etc.)

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools
Although note that it's a year out of date. Maintaners wanted ;-)

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions