Re: PostgreSQL @ Linux World - a very successful Harambee!!

From: elein(at)varlena(dot)com (elein)
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: Githogori wa Nyangara-Murage <githogori(at)yahoo(dot)com>, SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>, githogori <githogori(at)siliconbazaar(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL @ Linux World - a very successful Harambee!!
Date: 2005-08-07 18:50:04
Lists: sfpug

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 09:13:20AM -0700, Jeff Frost wrote:
> Awesome! Will you be forwarding us more info as we get closer to the day?
> Like:
>
> * what attire is appropriate
> * where the booth will be located
> * answers to common questions
>
> See you Tuesday!

Yes, attire is appropriate.

WRT the questions, they are all over the map. Here are
some common examples:

Why should I use postgres instead of mysql?
-- MySQL is not a relational database system per codds rules.
If you want referential, data and transactional integrity
use PostgreSQL. Besides, they are not really our competition.
Oracle and DB2 are.

How do I...?
-- Give it your best shot. Pass the question to others if you
cannot answer it.

Can I talk to the president of PostgreSQL?
-- PostgreSQL is an open source development project. It is not a
company. There are many companies that provide consulting,
support and training for PostgreSQL, including EnterpriseDB
who is hosting this booth now, SRA America, Command Prompt and
Varlena,LLC. Many companies also contribute to the development
efforts including some of those companies as well as Red Hat,
Affilias, Fugitsu, Green Plum, etc.

What kind of license does PostgreSQL have? (How much does it cost?)
-- PostgreSQL has a BSD license. This means you can take the source
and use it at will, including reselling it. It has no restrictions.

There are more questions along these lines. Improvise and ask others for
help.

--elein
elein(at)varlena(dot)com Varlena, LLC www.varlena.com
(510)655-2584(o) (510)543-6079(c)
PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training

PostgreSQL General Bits http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
AIM: varlenallc Yahoo: AElein Skype: varlenallc