Remote administration functionality

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Remote administration functionality
Date: 2005-07-31 03:39:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Let me try to outline where I think our goals are for remote
administration. I will not comment on Dave's analysis of the patch
review process, but I think he has some valid points that this patch was
not treated properly.

Basically, I think everyone wants remote administration. Remote
administration requires several things:

o edit postgresql.conf
o edit pg_hba.conf
o reload the config files
o restart the server (for config variables requiring restart)
o view log files
o recycle log files
o rename/remove log files

All these items are on the TODO list already.

The idea of the patch was to give applications the full unix I/O
capabilities, allowing them to program these functions into
administration applications. I think the group generally would like a
higher-level API that allows something like:

SET GLOBAL log_statement = 'mod';

that would modify postgresql.conf and signal all backends to-read the
file, or a way to control pg_hba.conf using SQL queries.

While the Unix API works, it isn't really what we finally want for
remote administration. I thought this was discussed back in the 8.0
beta period, and was surprised to see the file I/O patch resurface, but
because no one objected to it, I moved forward to getting it into the
queue and applied. Later, others did object, some to the too-general
API, others based on security concerns.

I probably should have stated more clearly that the high-level API was
the proper approach, rather than moving forward with a patch I knew
untimately would lead to concerns. However, I try to refrain from
pre-judging a patch lest I become too unbiased toward patch submissions.
I try to be the advocate for patches, rather than cast judgement. (What
surprised me is that the concerns didn't surfaced so late.)

So, where does this leave us for 8.1? I don't think we have time to
implement many of the bulleted items listed above, and I don't think the
file API patch would pass a vote, but I will support a vote if people
want that.

I think it might be possible to do a few of the bulleted items while we
clean out the patches queue. In fact, I think the reload the config
file functionality was already in the file I/O patch, so we can easily
apply that. (It is a TODO item.)

Given the confusion about the patch, I think we can give folks some time
to work on any additional remote administration bulleted items while we
clean out the patches queue.

Does that sound like a plan?

[ FYI, I think some of the bulleted items can be done now via COPY.]

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us