Re: Performance problems testing with Spamassassin

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Luke Lonergan <LLonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, Matthew Schumacher <matt(dot)s(at)aptalaska(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance problems testing with Spamassassin
Date: 2005-07-29 13:23:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 03:01:07AM -0400, Luke Lonergan wrote:

> I guess we see the real culprit here. Anyone surprised it's the WAL?

So what? Are you planning to suggest people to turn fsync=false?

I just had a person lose 3 days of data on some tables because of that,
even when checkpoints were 5 minutes apart. With fsync off, there's no
work _at all_ going on, not just the WAL -- heap/index file fsync at
checkpoint is also skipped. This is no good.

"In a specialized industrial society, it would be a disaster
to have kids running around loose." (Paul Graham)