Re: [Testperf-general] dbt2 & opteron performance

From: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Testperf-general] dbt2 & opteron performance
Date: 2005-07-28 04:31:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 07:32:34PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Mark,
>
> > I'm starting to get results with dbt2 on a 4-way opteron system and
> > wanted to share what I've got so far since people have told me in the
> > past that this architecture is more interesting than the itanium2 that
> > I've been using.
> >
> > This 4-way has 8GB of memory and four Adaptec 2200s controllers attached
> > to 80 spindles (eight 10-disk arrays). For those familiar with the
> > schema, here is a visual of the disk layout:
> > http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-015/layout-6.html
> >
> > Results for a 600 warehouse run are there:
> > http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-015/6/
> >
> > The tuning is a still a bit off, but feel free to let me know if there
> > are any issues anyway.
>
> This e-mail came in while I was away. I, of course, am very interested in
> running tests on this machine. Which version of PostgreSQL is this? What
> configuration are you doing? I would expect that we could get at least 7000
> on this platform; let me try to tweak it.

It's dev4-015. You should be able to login as root and create yourself
an account. I'm not doing anything on the system now, so feel free to
poke around. I've done a bad job of tracking what that first test was,
but recently I've been trying CVS from July 25, 2005, and also have that
base installed with v15 of the fast copy patch and Bruce's version of
the xlog patch. I've only tried DBT2 on the system so far.

After seeing the discussion about how bad the disk performance is with a
lot of scsi controllers on linux, I'm wondering if we should run some
disk tests to see how things look.

Mark