Re: Couple of minor buildfarm issues

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Couple of minor buildfarm issues
Date: 2005-07-25 21:53:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:49:45AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> We don't consider configuration settings ( e.g.
> --enable-integer-datetimes or --with-perl) to be part of the
> personality, and we don't currently track changes in them, nor in
> versions of third party libraries we might use ( e.g. openssl or libz).
> There is a limit to the lengths to which we can reasonably go, and I
> feel we are probably not too far from the sweet spot.

Well, the config options are always sent back in status reports... maybe
if there was just a summary page that listed what those options were on
a per-report basis; or even maybe diffing between reports to show
changes.

Something else that I think would be good to send back with each status
report is version info for everything relevant. gcc is obvious, I think
the uname stuff reported covers all those bases. I think some linux
distros have a file in /etc that specifies what distro it is, so
including that might be good. Finally, it would be good to include
version info for any external dependancies, especially since this could
change depending on options specified to configure. I suspect that doing
that will involve a change to configure, or maybe adding something to a
makefile that just produces a sumary. Or perhaps the info is available
in config.log. In any case, having a summary of config options and
relevant version info should make it pretty easy to spot changes. Also,
if the info is machine-readable it would be easy to do a summary report
of what different options have how much coverage, etc.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org