Re: Extending SQL with C, shared library problem

From: Shawn Garbett <shawn_garbett(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extending SQL with C, shared library problem
Date: 2005-07-20 21:55:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Shawn Garbett <shawn_garbett(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> > I've got C code written to store a value in the
> > context of an active connection using a hash. It
> > worked until I added some semaphores to control
> memory
> > reads/writes to the shared resource. This is on
> SLES9
> > Linux box running a 2.6.5 kernel.

Okay, I'm offically confused then. I thought the PID
was unique among active connections. Then wouldn't the
hash be accessible from multiple processes and not
just one? Or does the shared library get loaded
separately for each process? If so, then there is no
need at all for a hash table, and a simple global int
would do. Maybe the whole thing is just overkill.

Shawn

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs