Re: ecpg and VARCHAR

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dirk Jagdmann <doj(at)cubic(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ecpg and VARCHAR
Date: 2005-07-16 21:54:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> I'd like to get some information on VARCHAR types with ecpg. If I
> declare a VARCHAR without any size information I get a compilation error
> from my gcc 3.4.4:
> Now I suppose this negative declaration should have initialized an empty
> array and the generated sql code then allocates the space as needed?

This is definitely a bug. The negative value is used internaly but
should not make it into the generated code.

> If I declared the VARCHAR with a size everything works fine. However I'd
> like to know if the characters in the array contain a trailing 0 or if I
> have to set this explicitely?

No, they don't unless you set it to 0.

> And then I'd like to know which is the preferred way to retrieve "text"
> columns which contain arbitrary length texts with ecpg?

Just use "char *ptr=NULL;" libecpg will then allocate the needed memory
for you. You just have to free it later.

But then, this should also work with varchar. :-)

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
ICQ: 179140304, AIM/Yahoo: michaelmeskes, Jabber: meskes(at)jabber(dot)org