Re: buffer freelist

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Halley Pacheco de Oliveira <halleypo(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: buffer freelist
Date: 2005-07-07 15:05:43
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 07:29:33AM -0300, Halley Pacheco de Oliveira wrote:
> PostgreSQL 8.0.3 Documentation
> Chapter 16. Server Run-time Environment
> 16.4. Run-time Configuration
>
> debug_shared_buffers (integer)
>
> Number of seconds between buffer freelist reports. If set greater than
> zero, emit freelist statistics to the log every so many seconds. Zero
> (the default) disables reporting.
>
> What is a buffer freelist? I can't find a definition, and I can't
> translate if I don't understand.
>
> Is it a list of free buffers as it seems to be? What is a free buffer?

Yes, a list of free buffers. A free buffer is a buffer that's not used
:-) This is mainly a debugging option -- I don't think it would have
much use for regular users. Then again, you may want to know how well
is your shared_buffers setting defined -- if too low, then freelists
will be short.

I doubt this can really be used to improve performance.

Note that this option disappeared in current in-development code ...

"La realidad se compone de muchos sueños, todos ellos diferentes,
pero en cierto aspecto, parecidos..." (Yo, hablando de sueños eróticos)