Pqsocket not implemented in PHP

From: "Nick Stone" <nick(at)harelane(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Pqsocket not implemented in PHP
Date: 2005-06-30 09:35:06
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi,

I tried this question on the PHP lists but didn't get anywhere so I'm hoping
you maybe able to help.

I'm currently implementing a standalone app using php cli. Part of the app
connects to Postgres and waits for a notification using the "Listen
<tablename>" SQL. In the postgres C lib there is a function called
"Pqsocket" which returns the file-descriptor of the socket connection to
Postgres. With this I can use a simple select server to sleep on this
interface and others in the application.

Does anybody now of a patch to make this available under PHP or does the
structure of PHP code effectively make this type approach impossible?
Alternatively if I've just missed the function would somebody point me in
the right direction - I was kind of hoping (until I read the man pages more
closely) that pg_port was the function that wrapped the Pqsocket command but
sadly not!

If I need to wite one then I'll do that and post it back if that's useful
but just in case somebody has done it before...

Thanks

Nick