Re: log_min_duration_statement versus log_statement

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christian Robottom Reis <kiko(at)async(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Guilherme Salgado <salgado(at)async(dot)com(dot)br>
Subject: Re: log_min_duration_statement versus log_statement
Date: 2005-06-29 21:32:55
Lists: pgsql-docs

Bruce,

> OK, what if we change the documentaiton to be:
>
> log_min_duration_statement = 1000 # Log all statements whose
> # execution time exceeds the value, in
> # milliseconds. -1 disables. Zero logs
> # all statements and their durations.
>
> I think you are confused because log_min_duration_statement is really
> about _when_ to log (duration > ? ms), and what to log (the statement).

No, I see what Christian is complaining about. If one sets
log_statement="All", then all statements will be logged regardless of
duration or the setting in log_min_duration_statement. So it should
actually read:

log_min_duration_statement = 1000 # Log all statements whose
# execution time exceeds the value, in
# milliseconds. -1 disables. This is in addition to
# any statements logged according to
log_statement.

I'm with Christian on wanting to change the behavior so that it does what
the comments says it does currently, but I don't think we'll get that done
today.

--Josh

--
--Josh