Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alon Goldshuv <agoldshuv(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?
Date: 2005-06-03 18:12:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alon Goldshuv wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> Point taken.
>
> > Now, you can argue that
> > a different escape should be possible, or that some other escape syntax
> > could be used, but the existing mechanism is clearly 100% reliable when
> > used properly and not broken.
>
> I think that having an option for another escape syntax (such as using
> ESCAPE AS clause in delimited format (non-csv) COPY) with a default of '\\'
> is a good compromise that will allow users to escape their data (like COPY
> currently is), or by specifying another escape character allow all of their
> backslashes to be treated as data.
>
> I'll start a new discussion about it on a new thread soon.

Yep, great. Right now we only support single-byte escapes (and
delimiters), so there should be a discussion if multiple byte values are
useful too. Also, there was discussion of what the default should be.
I don't think there is any agreement to change the existing defaults.
You might argue for a new mode that sets certain defaults to be easier
to load, but I am afraid of a new format that isn't 100% reliable,
because it assumes that some sequence of bytes will never appear in the
data.

Anyway, these are ideas you can consider when making a proposal.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us