Re: Google's Summer of Code ...

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Vikram Kalsi <vikramkalsi(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Google's Summer of Code ...
Date: 2005-06-03 11:02:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 02 June 2005 18:52, Vikram Kalsi wrote:
> I am a MSEE student at Penn State (University Park), for the past few
> months I have been working on modifying parts of PostgreSQL for my
> research work. I doubt if my current work would serve any purpose for
> pgsql since it is experimental and research oriented, but all the
> same, I have gained familiarity with parts of pgsql. I'm interested in
> Google's Summer of Code, but I would definitely need help, starting
> with selection of an idea to work on. So, if anybody from PostgreSQL
> would like to support this, then please get in touch with me as early
> as possible.

I think the easyist thing is to look over the TODO list and see if there are 1
or more items that you might be interested in working on, and then either
mentioning them here or submitting them to google.

> By the way, I didn't see PostgreSQL in the list of Participating
> Organizations on http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html?

Marc has contacted google with intentions of joining that list, I would guess
the more people who submit postgresql related proposals, the more likely it
would be that we end up joining.

> Thanks and Regards,
> -Vikram Kalsi
> MSEE PennState
> vzk101 at psu dot edu
> www.personal.psu.edu/vzk101
>
> On 5/25/05, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Vikram Kalsi <vikramkalsi(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > > So, I suppose that during the query planning and optimization stage,
> > > the value of the original variables in the plan are somehow copied to
> > > the plan which is finally returned inside pg_plan_query().
> >
> > Look in createplan.c --- there are a couple places in there you need to
> > fix.
> >
> > regards, tom lane

Robert Treat