Re: SQL COPY Command

From: "Keith Worthington" <keithw(at)narrowpathinc(dot)com>
To: "Van Ingen, Lane" <lvaningen(at)ESNCC(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL COPY Command
Date: 2005-04-27 15:11:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:43:58 -0400, Van Ingen, Lane wrote
> Will this command APPEND TO or REPLACE data in an existing table ?
>
> The documentation doesn't seem to indicate.

You appear to be correct. I was not able to find the answer in the
documentation either.

Testing indicates that the data will be appended. If a primary key is defined
on the table and any of the contents of the COPY violate that key then the
entire contents of the COPY are rejected. During large copies this can result
in a lot of wasted space.

Kind Regards,
Keith