Re: Granting permission on a sequence to a group

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: "Walker, Jed S" <Jed_Walker(at)cable(dot)comcast(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Granting permission on a sequence to a group
Date: 2005-04-21 23:42:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 03:50:04PM -0600, Walker, Jed S wrote:

> I have a sequence seq_page owned by user vrnsys. Vrnsys has granted "select"
> on seq_page to group vrn_admin. vrn_admin group has had user vrngui added to
> it, but vrngui is not able to access the sequence (permission denied for
> sequence seq_page).

vrngui is probably trying to execute nextval('seq_page'). SELECT
privilege on a sequence allows currval(), but nextval() requires
UPDATE privilege. Try this:

GRANT SELECT, UPDATE ON seq_page TO GROUP vrn_admin;

For more information, see the documentation for GRANT:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/sql-grant.html

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/