BUG #1557: UPPER() and LOWER() do not return the right characters

From: "Staffan Sandberg" <staffan(dot)sandberg(at)fhd(dot)se>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1557: UPPER() and LOWER() do not return the right characters
Date: 2005-03-22 09:27:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1557
Logged by: Staffan Sandberg
Email address: staffan(dot)sandberg(at)fhd(dot)se
PostgreSQL version: 7.4.6-1.FC2.2
Operating system: Fedora Core 2
Details:

Hi,

I am using a PostgreSQL DB with the LATIN1 (ISO-8859-1) character encoding.
When using the UPPER() or LOWER() functions on any of our swedish specific
characters the returned character is never transformed to the desired case.
The functions only return the same character as the input, disregarding of
the input character's case.

E.g: LOWER('') should return '' but instead '' is returned.

The concerned characters are:
LOWER UPPER

To solve the problem I am now forced to use the REPLACE() function for these
three characters, hence it would be more convinient if the LOWER() and
UPPER() functions worked properly.

Please make a comment on my report!
Kind regards,
Staffan Sandberg