Acccessing individual array elements form plpgsql

From: "Celia McInnis" <celia(at)drmath(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Acccessing individual array elements form plpgsql
Date: 2005-03-11 22:41:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi:

plpgsql allows me to define an array:

direction TEXT[2]:=array['out','in'];

and I can print out the whole array via:

RAISE NOTICE 'direction=%',direction;

getting:

direction={in,out}

but how do I access members of this array individually??? I'd love it if
direction[1] would pull out the 2nd or 1st element so that I could use it in
the selects which my procedure is forming, but I get syntax errors when I try
to reference the array element in such a way. For example:

RAISE NOTICE '%',direction[1];

gives:

ERROR: syntax error at or near "[" at character ####
LINE ##: RAISE NOTICE '%',direction[1];
^
Thanks for any help which you can give. I am running postgresql 8.0.1.

Celia McInnis