Re: BUG #1473: Backend bus error, possibly due to ANALYZE

From: "Brian B(dot)" <brian-pgsql(at)bbdab(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1473: Backend bus error, possibly due to ANALYZE
Date: 2005-02-12 01:55:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 06:54:31PM -0500, I wrote:
> Yup ... that's really close. I'm going to do a few tests to try to figure
> out what's going on with my environment and let you know if I come up with
> anything odd.

I think I have figured out the culprit.

I use the FreeBSD PostgreSQL port and I set the option to use threads so
that pl/python will work with PostgreSQL. If I unset this option and rebuild
the port, I will receive the normal error message but no crash. Just to
make sure it was not the port's fault, I build the source by hand without
any port-specific patches. The same behavior occurs.

So I am not sure if, again, it's my libc_r or something gets messed up in
the PostgreSQL code dealing with the stack/recursion, when I have pthread
libs linked in. I am guessing it is just my particular environment, though.

Thanks,

Brian B.