Re: ran vacuum, ran out of space, cant bring up psql

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Pam Eggler" <peggler(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ran vacuum, ran out of space, cant bring up psql
Date: 2005-02-03 17:14:59
Lists: sfpug

Pam,

Welcome to SFPUG! Are you in San Francisco, the East Bay, or what?

> I noticed I was running low on space on my system, so I found this vacuum
> command. I ran it and it failed because it ran out of space:
>
> vacuum mytable;
> FATAL 2: ZeroFill failed to write
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/xlogtemp.23895: No space left on device

> I cleared out that dir and then tried to go back into my database and I get
> this error:

Um, do you mean to say that you cleared out the XLOG directory!?!? If so, I
hope you have a backup ...

> psql fsp
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> Is the server running locally and accepting
> connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

Well, the error you got is a "postgresql is shutting down" error. So you'd
need to restart. But not if you're still out of disk space, and not if you
just wiped the xlog directory.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions