Re: pg_dump bug in 7.3.9 with sequences

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump bug in 7.3.9 with sequences
Date: 2005-02-02 22:04:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 01:54:48PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> It is not pilot error if PostgreSQL allows it. There is
> nothing "illegal" about the above commands in their execution.
> The pg_dump application should recognize that the object has
> changed and react accordingly.

ISTM this is a bug, but it's not clear to me what is the solution.
I can think of two:

1. Changing the default is forbidden
2. When the default is changed, the dependency on the sequence is
dropped, and the sequence itself is dropped.

Which one do you think is best? Why? (I'd say "less bad" instead of
"best", but I'm not sure if that's a correct choice of words.)

"Someone said that it is at least an order of magnitude more work to do
production software than a prototype. I think he is wrong by at least
an order of magnitude." (Brian Kernighan)