Re: A Question

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: neo anderson <freeonfair(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Guillaume LELARGE <gleu(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: A Question
Date: 2005-01-24 01:47:03
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 03:31:39PM +0000, neo anderson wrote:
> Hi, thanks for all your reply.
> I originally planned to translate the manual of the
> postgresql
> [http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/index.html].
> Though seemly there's translation already [of my
> native language], but it's out of dated [and I still
> get no reply before I post this message]. Therefore, I
> may go with a li'l step as possible( though I'm not
> Peter; ) to translate the manual of version 8.0.
> However, I have no idea wheather to submit translated
> document because I have no website to hooked on. Is it
> possible to submit it to postgresql doc team? or what
> should I do?

We currently don't have a place to store translated manuals. I think we
(or you) could set something up, maybe a project in pgfoundry.

Ideally I'd like a centralized system where all translations could be
kept and managed. But I don't like the idea of just translating the
SGML and storing the translation as plain HTML or SGML, because it's
very difficult to keep it up to date; that's the problem you are having
with the old translation to your language, for example, as I have with
the old spanish translation.

For some time already I have wanted to work on a system that would allow
you to keep the translation up to date easily, maybe involving XLIFF and
a database. So you would consult the system and it would show you what
you have to translate to take the manual from 7.4 to 8.0, without having
to look at gigantic and unreadable diffs.

But I haven't done anything about it yet.

"Cada quien es cada cual y baja las escaleras como quiere" (JMSerrat)