Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

From: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>, maillist(at)shauny(dot)de, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site
Date: 2005-01-22 22:16:40
Lists: pgsql-www

On January 22, 2005 04:25 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca> writes:
> > Might I suggest that "all" search boxes have a choice of either reference
> > documentation or the mail list but assume that the person wants the mail
> > list by default first.
>
> Why would you think that should be the default?

People search because they want help and help is found by looking at what
other people have to say about a given issue.

It should be a straight forward process of demonstrating the validity of one
format over another. Just Create a search box that favors mails lists and
read the hits from any one ip address in a given time span.

When you've got enough stats then change the order of the default so that
documentation is favored and then track the difference in stats that are
being generated.

The higher the number of search requests the more likely it means that they
aren't getting what they want. If they follow up with many hits on mail list
links then that means that they are interested in following the mail list
rather than the documenation.

cheers

Robert Bernier