Limiting size and number of transaction logs

From: "Chris White (cjwhite)" <cjwhite(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Limiting size and number of transaction logs
Date: 2005-01-15 00:31:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

In the documentation for 7.4 for WAL configuration, I see the following
statement:

There will be at least one 16 MB segment file, and will normally not be more
than 2 * checkpoint_segments + 1 files.

So if I have 1 checkpoint segment configured, does this mean there will be a
max of 4 16MB files or 3 16MB files.

Is there anyway of reducing this number of files, as I am running on a
system which is very tight on disk space and doesn't have that much DB
transaction throughput that needs this number of transaction logs or is
there a way of making the size smaller?

Chris White