syntax issue with insert statement

From: David Bear <David(dot)Bear(at)asu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: syntax issue with insert statement
Date: 2005-01-13 17:17:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm in process of migrating data. That means lots of data munging.

I decided that while I'm coding I should go ahead and create sql syntax rather
than just some delimited file. So I produced the following code:

docflow=> INSERT INTO student (first_name, last_name, middle_name, added_by,
affiliate_id, added_on) VALUES (John, Doe, -, '{john}', 484848484, 02/02/20);

ERROR: syntax error at or near "," at character 112

I could not get the INSERT statement to work using the column name VALUES
syntax.

So, then I tried:

docflow=> INSERT INTO student VALUES (29394959, David, Doe, _, 09/09/99, '{test}')

That worked.

I though I might have quoting issue, but I'm sticking with lower case
identifiers.

This seems like such a trivial question, but I just cant see where I went
wrong. Maybe I've stared at it too long. Please advise.

--
David Bear
phone: 480-965-8257