Re: RC5 Bundled ...

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RC5 Bundled ...
Date: 2005-01-11 17:51:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:25:54AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > The latest bug report reminded me that our standard test suite doesn't
> > exercise pg_dump at all. Please do try to beat on RC5's pg_dump over
> > the next week and see if it does the right things.
>
> The classic test is dump/reload/dump and compare the dumps. I wonder if
> we could automate that.

That wouldn't have caught the index ownership bug. I just did a
test with the 8.0.0rc4 pg_dump and got identical output even though
the restored indexes had the wrong ownership. I don't oppose the
idea -- I'm just mentioning one case where it wouldn't have worked.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/