Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..
Date: 2005-01-05 23:16:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >> If we want to "play nice" in the windows world, we should definitly
> >> *not* put things directly in %USERPROFILE%. And if we're ever going to
> >> change it, now is the time. I would like to see all these files moved
> >> into <appdatadir>\PostgreSQL\
> >> or %USERPROFILE%\PostgreSQL\ (Appdata is obviously the nicest). We
> >> might want to consider removing the leading-dot on those files too -
> >> some Widnows tools go nuts on that. (most don't, but some do). And it
> >> doesn't accomplish anything (like it does on Unix) other than confusing
> >> the user. If it's not too much work.
> >>

> > The problem with Appdata is that it's a hidden folder. Are we storing
> > files here that we expect the user to be able to get to easitly and
> > edit often? It may still be the best option, but I thought I would
> > rasise that point. The other option is to put most of this data into
> > the registrty.
> >
> > BTW I have a few folders like %USERPROVILE%\.Application from windows
> > ports of Unix apps like the GIMP.
>
> It's not hidden on my XP-Pro box.

OK, I can't believe I know the answer to this, but if you display your
%USERPROFILE directory using the standard XP directory viewer, and under
Tools/Folder_Options, choose "View" then look at the "Hidden Files and
Folders" option. I bet you will see "Show hidden files and folders"
enabled, but by default that radio button is disabled.

So, buy default "Application Data" is invisible in that application,
though you have enabled it, probably because you know what you are doing
and need to get to certain configuration files.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us