Re: BTree max row size?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Ernest Kim <krazykid(at)cs(dot)bu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BTree max row size?
Date: 2004-12-23 22:07:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 12:51:05PM -0500, Ernest Kim wrote:

> I'm trying to use the tiki-wiki software. It has several indexes
> which store the web page's data as an index criteria. The problem
> comes up when a web page is a large web page. It can't store the page
> in the index.

That's a strange indexing strategy. What is it trying to do with those

> Do you know of another way of dealing with this issue aside from
> re-compiling or recoding the indexes?

What issue? You can't index arbitrarily long strings, period. OTOH,
the task that the index is supposed to handle most likely can be handled
in a different way.

"¿Cómo puedes confiar en algo que pagas y que no ves,
y no confiar en algo que te dan y te lo muestran?" (Germán Poo)