slony replication

From: sarlav kumar <sarlavk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsqlnovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsqlperform <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: slony replication
Date: 2004-12-20 22:25:26
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-performance

Hi All,

I installed slony1.0.5 and tried the example replication of pgbench database. That seemed to work. Now I need to replicate a DB running on a different server. slony1.0.5 is installed on the Fedora core 3 machine where Postgres 7.4.6 is installed. I have to replicate the 'test' database installed on a different machine using Postgres 7.3.2.

In the instructions to replicate the pgbench example, there is script file to create the initial configuration for the master-slave setup of the pgbench database. Is this the script file that has to be modified accordingly, to replicate my 'test' DB. And ofcourse, the shell variables have to be changed to indicate the correct location of the master and slave DBs. Am I right?

Also, in the script, the following lines are used to create sets of tables:
# Slony-I organizes tables into sets. The smallest unit a node can
# subscribe is a set. The following commands create one set containing
# all 4 pgbench tables. The master or origin of the set is node 1.
#--
create set (id=1, origin=1, comment='All pgbench tables');
set add table (set id=1, origin=1, id=1, fully qualified name = 'public.accounts', comment='accounts table');
set add table (set id=1, origin=1, id=2, fully qualified name = 'public.branches', comment='branches table');
set add table (set id=1, origin=1, id=3, fully qualified name = 'public.tellers', comment='tellers table');
set add table (set id=1, origin=1, id=4, fully qualified name = 'public.history', comment='history table', key = serial);

#--

Can this be skipped? I have over 200 tables, and I am not sure if I have to list each of them in the "set add table" part of the scripts file.

Do I need to change any of the other scripts file in the example?

Thanks in advance,
Saranya