Application specific installs

From: Jonathan Barnhart <jdbarnhart(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Application specific installs
Date: 2004-12-14 01:40:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

What you guys have done on the following issues is reasonable and makes
sense from a lot of points of view. But Windows is a different animal
and I am trying to field an actual commercial application that runs
with Postgresql as its back end under Windows.

I'm getting things to work in its current state where Posturesql is
doing its multiuser database thing, but here is what is optimal from a
single application approach when the application tends to be single
user.

First off, there needs to be a way to allow Posturesql to run as
Administrator. Basically add a "do it anyway" flag to it. What is
needed for this mode is that posturesql will allow 127.0.0.1 to connect
to it when it's running as administrator. I do not see a need to allow
outside connections in this mode. The reason for this is most people
run their windows boxes as administrator because windows runs badly if
you don't. So what I would be doing is starting Postgresql as a user
process and not as a service or anything. Also this would allow me to
have a "known good" postgresql for my own app regardless of what else
has been installed as a service. Having fielded Oracle based apps and
worse, BDE apps, version conflicts on the back end are very real and a
royal pain from a support viewpoint.

So anyway, do I have to fork the code to get my single user anything
goes locally mode or is there some willingness to address "windows"
issues here.

Please remember I'm talking about a guy who goes down to Wal-mart.
Buys a windows XP machine, and installs my product. He doesn't know
beans about computers and I'm trying to make his life easy because if I
don't he'll use someone else's product.

I KNOW the way PG works now is more secure. But if you're only
allowing local connections to PG running as administrator it's not that
much of a risk since if it's being attacked locally things have already
gone to hell in a hand-basket.

=====
"We'll do the undoable, work the unworkable, scrute the inscrutable and have a long, hard look at the ineffable to see whether it might not be effed after all"