Re: Alternatives to Dell?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alternatives to Dell?
Date: 2004-12-13 18:20:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

Vivek Khera wrote:

> FW> I believe I had expressed some problems with Dell in the past, but
> FW> it really isn't a quality control issue that I have seen. It is more
> FW> of a Linux support issue. Lately I've been running into problems with
>
> Ditto that experience, but with FreeBSD.
>
> FW> getting particular parts of system working under Linux (raid cards,
> FW> SATA drives, Ethernet cards) or I can get it working, but it
> FW> performs badly ( PERC cards vs say a Mylex card ).
>
> Drivers for their devices are not problems, but performance is.
>
> Their RAID cards are either Adaptec or LSI, but people who use the
> "real" branded versions of those cards always seem to get better
> performance. Way better.
>
> I'm considering FreeBSD systems and a custom built configuration right
> now. Very hard decision to make.
>
> For desktops and web/office servers, I still like the Dells. Just not
> for the DB servers anymore.

Way off topic, but Dell regularly advertises included hardware that is
"almost" the same as the name brand hardware if purchased individually.

My brother bought a Dell and needed to upgrade his video driver and the
Dell tech said he has to use Dell's drivers rather than the
manufacturers driver because the video card isn't identical to the
manufacturers. Of course the manufacturer had an updated driver that
fixed the problem while Dell had only the broken one. He upgraded the
driver anyway and it worked.

Do you want to purchase hardware from a vendor that tries to shave every
dollar off the hardware cost, even if compatibility or performance
suffers? I don't.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us