Re: [GENERAL] FTP mirror problems

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] FTP mirror problems
Date: 2004-11-09 18:21:52
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> A bad link in the ftp source directory inspired me to check
> the rest of it out:
>
> * Main README file needs updating. The URL is given as:
>
> http:/www.postgreSQL.org
>
> but should be:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/

Huh? Just checked, the file hasn't been modified since Nov 15th, 2001,
and the URL looks fine to me:

svr1# grep http README
http://www.postgreSQL.org
svr1#

> * README.cvsup is very old, possibly incorrect

have you tested this? I last updated on Nov 3rd of this year, to reflect
the reverting of the repository to overall state ... so if its incorrect,
nobody has told me so ...

> * README.dist-split might want to mention the new "bz" and "md5" files.

If you would like to submit a re-write, I'll put it into place ... I think
mentioning the bz files seperately would just bulk up the file ... ppl
would see the .bz when they go to the directory itself ...

> * We are keeping some very old versions around: 1.08, 1.09, the entire 6
> series. Is there any reason for this? For that matter, is there any reason
> to keep around lesser versions in a tree, especially ones that were replaced
> due to security bugs? Perhaps only keep the latest few versions and put a
> note in the readme to point to "archives.postgresql.org" or something?
>
> At the very least, a warning that some of the versions on the site have
> serious security flaws would be warranted.

Historical, but we could easily create a source/OLD directory to move them
into, so they are less prominent?

> * /dev/interfaces seems to have only an old version of libpqxx
>
> * /dev/contrib only contains earthdistance - why?

removed both contrib and interfaces ... libpqxx is on gborg now, and
earthdistances is back in the regular dev packages anyway ..

> * /projects/gborg has some very old versions of some of the projects
> therein. Is there a process to update these?

they are auto-updated from the gborg site, so that will have to be taken
up with Chris ...

> * The directory symlinked from /win32 should have a README. Perhaps
> even a top-level README.WIN32 in anticipation of a lot of Windows users.

Please feel free to submit one for inclusion (or anyone else, for that
matter ... I'm only picking you out since you are pointing them out
*grin*) ...

> * The /src directory is missing 7.2.6 and 7.3.6

fixed ...

> * /src/7.3.5 points to the wrong place (missing a "v")

fixed, and confirmed the rest were all link'd to the 'v' version ...

> * /source/7.2.5/v7.2.5 is a bogus link

fixed ...

----