Log messages of the server?

From: Joerg Hessdoerfer <Joerg(dot)Hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Log messages of the server?
Date: 2004-11-08 09:23:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Hi,

just a quick question: I've installed test-drives of the PostgreSQL 8.0 beta
installers (all versions, up to and including beta4), on win2k, XP Pro and XP
home, they all worked fine starting the postmaster as service under user
postgres. I just realized, though, that I had a problem upgrading one machine
from beta2 to beta3, though. The service didn't start, because an initdb was
required. But I didn't see any eventlog messages (that's where a windows user
would look first, naturally). After more careful scrutiny, I did not find
*ANY* server log messages. Where does the installer set logging to? Is
logging to eventlog even implemented? How to configure it?

Thanks for pointers,
Jörg
--
Leading SW developer - S.E.A GmbH
Mail: joerg(dot)hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com