Re: determine sequence name for a serial

From: Jonathan Daugherty <cygnus(at)cprogrammer(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: determine sequence name for a serial
Date: 2004-10-28 05:14:06
Lists: pgsql-general

# I figured out how to get this:
#
# foo=> SELECT adsrc FROM pg_attrdef WHERE adrelid = (SELECT oid FROM
# pg_class WHERE relname = 'foo');
# adsrc
# ------------------------------------
# nextval('public.foo_id_seq'::text)
# (1 row)
#
# However, this will break as soon as I do this:
#
# foo=> CREATE SCHEMA x;
# CREATE SCHEMA
# foo=> CREATE TABLE x.foo (id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL, x TEXT);
# NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "foo_id_seq" for
# "serial" column "foo.id"
# NOTICE: CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
# "foo_pkey" for table "foo"
# CREATE TABLE
# foo=> SELECT adsrc FROM pg_attrdef WHERE adrelid = (SELECT oid FROM
# pg_class WHERE relname = 'foo');
# ERROR: more than one row returned by a subquery used as an
# expression

This should suffice to get you a string you can regex. Other than the
default value setting for the serial, I don't see another link that
binds the serial to its sequence.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_default_value (text, text, text) RETURNS text AS '
SELECT adsrc
FROM pg_attrdef, pg_class, pg_namespace, pg_attribute
WHERE
adrelid = pg_class.oid AND
pg_class.relnamespace = pg_namespace.oid AND
pg_attribute.attnum = pg_attrdef.adnum AND
pg_attribute.attrelid = pg_class.oid AND
pg_namespace.nspname = $1 AND
pg_class.relname = $2 AND
pg_attribute.attname = $3;
' language sql;

--
Jonathan Daugherty
PostgreSQL Replication & Support Services, (503) 667-4564