Re: postmaster stopps

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster stopps
Date: 2004-10-19 15:28:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 01:14:10PM +1000, Ashley Maher wrote:
> My original post stated I'd had the postmaster stop without explanation.
> I now have log files. I can see nothing in messaegs or syslog of interest.

I agree there's not much there:

> LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
> LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
> LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
> LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

These are cases where the client has gone away without shutting down
its connection properly. At the TCP timeout, the postmaster checks
the client, discovers it isn't there, and shuts down the connection.
So this tells you that a client disconnected abnormally, but it also
tells you that the postmaster was working correctly then.

> FATAL: lock file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid" already exists

And this is your start up attempt.

> file. There is alot of the "unexpected EOF on client connection". I've
> done a search for the cause of this error without much success, in the
> hope it is the reason the postmaster dies. Is this a hint to my problem?

I doubt it very much. I think you probably need to increase the
verbosity of your logging in order to make it clearer what's going
on. Also, timestamps would help: from the output that's there, you
can't tell how long it was between the last known-alive postmaster
event (unexpected EOF) and the start-up attempt.

You'll probably want to send the output through a log rotator if you
increase the verbosity: multi-gig log files aren't so good.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
--Roger Brinner