Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability
Date: 2004-09-29 23:24:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> about pg_query not getting a good connection or similar problems.
> Isn't normal advice to check return codes before even trying to use the
> connections? Why isn't this done in the main postgresql.org code, where
> anyone can see it, is beyond me. Of course the solution to the
> underlying problem is to restart the Postgres server, but why should we
> inform the user that Postgres' own database server is down, in the worst
> possible way?

Just curious here, but when/where? We haven't had a database issue in
quite awhile that *I'm* aware of ... in fact, the whole web site is
static, generated periodically from .php files, so that the mirrors can
pick things up properly, so there should never be a 'cannot connect to
database' issue, since there are no connections to the database being made

----