Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability
Date: 2004-09-29 18:09:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

> The over use of jails I think is complicating things, what are the odds
> that someone could find it in their heart to raid the old hardware pile
> in their serverback room, and come up with a PIII 800MHz + system with a
> gig of ram that they could donate to the cause, and we move some of the
> more critical services (www/ftp/anoncvs) to that box without jails.

jails are not the problem ... the problem is the file system we are using
to share applications ... but, yes, if we could put a dedicated box in
place, we could very easily eliminate the use of the file system ... we
have never had a jail related crash on those servers, they have always
come down to the file system itself ...

> One thing I know we can do here to help at least the availability of the
> website itself, is to use a round-robin DNS based setup. I know Marc
> adjusted DNS records to point the main website at www3.ca a while back
> during a time that www was stuck in fsck hell.

To do this, and I'd love to, we'd need to have *at least* all of the
www*.us.postgresql.org mirrors setup a ServerAlias for www.postgresql.org
... not sure what would be involved in getting that done though, but the
DNS side wouldn't take much ...

> What about combining the efforts od pgsql.ru and command prompt to do
> this, or maybe even monarc or google groups ?

Until someone can *list* the problems, how can a solution be suggested?
John and I know of no issues at this time ... the last one was the 'time
period' searches, which we believe we've just fixed ...

> Ok i know how much we all hate banner adds and the like, but what about
> using Google ads especially on the archives to help generate income to
> fund these requirements?

Huh? Google ads? I know what you mean, just how do we make use of them?

----