Re: windows docs?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: windows docs?
Date: 2004-09-21 20:47:32
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-docs

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 07:59, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > I guess another alternative is jut remove faq_mswin from the main
> > > sources and then leave it up to cygwin/native projects to maintain
> > > thier own faqs, with perhaps a single question in the main
> >
> > postgresql
> >
> > > pointing to both of the other faqs... anyone have a preference?
> >
> > The problem with our new FAQ is that much of it is installer
> > specific, so including it in the main distro which doesn't
> > include the installer code just seems wrong somehow. Perhaps
> > the existing faq should have a note in bold at the top
> > directing ppl to the installer FAQ if that's what they really
> > want, and leave the rest of the doc for Cygwin/Mingw specific issues.
>
> It would be really good if we had a one-stop-shop for FAQ items for
> Windows users, though... Look at the installer faq now for example - a
> lot of those Qs are about postgreqsl itself and not the installer. But
> that's where people look (or in the main FAQ, but not in both). Or we
> can chose to live with duplicate questions... As long as we keep the
> answers in sync.

Well, istm that the # of native users will grow larger than the number of
cygwin users at some point in time (probably right after release, but hey).
Personally I like the idea of a single win32 faq for the main branch with
specific links to both a cygwin and native specific faqs, but barring that,
we could combine both documents together and make a 3 sectioned windows
specific faq, with a section on general stuff, cygwiun stuff, and native
stuff. Both projects could then just link to that faq.

--
Robert Treat