Re: XP install problems

From: "Kevin Woolley" <kevin(at)geomantics(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: XP install problems
Date: 2004-09-21 14:31:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

OK, I'm not entirerly sure what happened here, but I have it working now.
Problem seems to have been related to ISA server and the proxy client I'm
using for that.

For the record, and for anyone with similar problems, I did the following...

1. Ran netsh interface ip reset reset.log. Rebooted. Put back IP settings
(I'm on a small lan and don't use DHCP, ip of machine 169.254.0.13, mask
255.255.255.0, gateway 169.254.0.1). No effect - still got socket error.

2. Downloaded and ran LSPFix.exe. Didn't report any errors, but stack was

Wspwsp.dll (winsock proxy client, installed from ISA server, which I run on
my internet gateway)
Mswsock.dll
Winrnr.dll
CSLSP.DLL (Macfee AV)
Rsvpsp.dll

Let it attempt to repair (no errors reported). Rebooted. No - effect -
still got socket error

3. Uninstalled Microsoft Proxy Client. Rebooted. No internet connection
(of course). Still can't get get to Postgres

4. Reinstalled Proxy Client (from ISA Server). Rebooted. Internet
connection back, and (wahoo) can connect to Postgres

So, continued to play around. Found following

5. If I disable the Proxy Client, reboot, then get same socket error back
when I connect to postgres (internet continues to work because gateway etc.
set up)

6. Renable Firewall client, reboot, Postgres connect works again. (oddly it
continues to work if you turn the proxy client off but don't reboot)

So I conclude that the problem lies in the ISA server proxy client, which I
presumably had installed but not enabled (18 months since configured).
Reason for that is that if it is enabled then SSL upstream doesn't work as
my broadband connection is via satellite and there's this weird mass proxy
server at the groundstation in germany that I have to expicitly bypass from
my ISA server for ssl because it doesn't handle that - and MS Firewall Proxy
Client always routes through ISA even if you tell it not too in lan
connection settings. Fortunatly loosing upstream ssl on my development box
isn't an issue as anything I really need ssl for is done on my other
machines.

Ho hum. First time I've ever seen anything break like this - development
box has been pretty solid up until now with other services/programs using
tcpip. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Kevin