Re: Article about PostgreSQL and RAID in Brazil

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: ricardo(at)sqlmagazine(dot)com(dot)br, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org,br(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Article about PostgreSQL and RAID in Brazil
Date: 2004-09-16 21:07:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

> What about benefits from putting WAL and pg_temp on seperate drives?
> Specifically, we have a box with 8 drives, 2 in a mirror with the OS and
> WAL and pg_temp; the rest in a raid10 with the database on it. Do you
> think it would have been better to make one big raid10? What if it was
> raid5? And what if it was only 6 drives total?

OSDL's finding was that even with a large RAID array, it still benefits you to
have WAL on a seperate disk resource ... substantially, like 10% total
performance.    However, your setup doesn't get the full possible benefit,
since WAL is sharing the array with other resources.

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco