what is maximum size of "text" datatype in postgres?

From: "Smit" <smitamarda(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: what is maximum size of "text" datatype in postgres?
Date: 2004-09-13 08:35:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

i wanted to know, what is maximum size of "text"
datatype in postgres.
It is given as "unlimited characters" in the postgres
documentation.
But it doesn't store characters more than 5000. The
connection get lost if i tried to store more than 5000
characters.

I had read somewhere on forum that its max limit is 8
bytes, and we can increase it to 32 bytes.

Do any one know how to increse it?
or do anyone know any other way to solve this problem.

Thanks,
Smita