Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime()

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime()
Date: 2004-08-27 18:28:32
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Friday August 27 2004 12:08, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ed L." <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net> writes:
> > Attached is a patch which replaces the 'log_filename_prefix'
> > configuration directive with a similar 'log_filename' directive.
> > + changes the default log filename to exclude the PID;
>
> This would be better stated as "makes it impossible to use the PID
> in the file name". While I'm prepared to grant that it may not be
> necessary to do so in many scenarios, I'm not very happy with
> arbitrarily removing the ability ... especially without giving any
> justification.

Yes, should have said more on that item. First, I didn't see how to easily
make it configurable in combination with strftime() without doing more
work, and it didn't appear to be worth the effort. By its addition,
hard-coding the PID into the filename deviates from what I would argue is
the de facto standard of Apache's rotatelogs and forces a naming convention
where none existed before. That creates work for us as we have a
considerable infrastructure setup to deal with logs; I suspect that may be
the case with others. I looked, but did not find, justification for why it
was introduced; I would assume it was added to allow for multiple
postmasters sharing the same log directory. I had difficulty fathoming the
usefulness of this being hard-coded, as it seems one could compensate
easily through the configurable 'log_filename' if one chose to share a log
directory among postmasters. Not by including the PID, but by some other
postmaster-unique naming approach. Given its a new 'feature', I'm hoping
it can be altered to return the freedom of filenaming to the administrator.