Re: Anyone familiar with Apple Xserve RAID

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Anyone familiar with Apple Xserve RAID
Date: 2004-08-25 21:22:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

Robert,

> Just curious if folks have ever used this for a postgresql server and if
> they used it with OSX/BSD/Linux. Even if you haven't used it, if you
> know of something comparable I'd be interested. TIA

Last I checked Apple was still shipping the XServes with SATA drives and a
PROMISE controller, both very consumer-grade (and not server-grade) hardware.
I can't recommend the XServe as a database platform. SCSI still makes a
difference for databases, more because of the controllers than anything else.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions