Re: PostgreSQL Migration of databases 7.2 to 7.4

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Mario Thomas <mario(at)alamar(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Migration of databases 7.2 to 7.4
Date: 2004-08-24 17:42:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 07:25:46 +0100,
Mario Thomas <mario(at)alamar(dot)net> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We have a server in our datacentre running PostgreSQL 7.2 with about 50
> databases set up (for different customers). We have just commissioned a
> much better specified server which is running PostgreSQL 7.4.
>
> We need to migrate the databases from 7.2 to 7.4. The smallest database
> contains about 200K of data whilst the largest database weighs in at
> about 100Mb.
>
> What's the best way to migrate the data? Would you suggest using the
> pgdump tools? We've found them to be quite problematic in use and are
> not entirely sure of the best command line switches to use.

If you use the pg_dump(all) client from 7.4 to dump the 7.2 database, you
will probably find that it works a lot better with handling dependencies
than the 7.2 pg_dump(all) client did.

> We need to make sure the data and permissions get migrated, as the data
> is being used for live web sites. So obviously speed of migration is
> important as we will have a period of downtime to complete the
> migrations.

You might look at Slony I, though I think it only works on versions back
to 7.3. If it works back to 7.2, then it could be used to sync your new
system up, allowing for a very short cutover time.