Re: 8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread.

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread.
Date: 2004-08-18 19:18:19
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> So, budding writers:
>
> I'd like to see some sample text here. But please remember that the *entire*
> press release will be less than 1000 words, so no paragraph-long descriptions
> of a single feature! (for example, Rod's description of replication options
> was nice but would have to be condensed to about 14 words, if we include it
> at all) More detailed descriptions will go on our "news" page.
>
> As a compromise between Peter's perspective and mine/Andrew's, I think that we
> should focus on the features but name-drop. So we need to work in company
> names at appropriate points, namely Fujitsu, Afilias, Red Hat, Open Source
> Development Labs, Command Prompt, 2nd Quadrant, and SRA-America (am I
> forgetting someone?). The names should get across the multi-company
> involvement without dwelling on it.
>
> Please take a stab at:
>
> P1: announce landmark 8.0 version, 200 developers, etc. 4-5 lines, starting
> with a sentence that covers who-what-when.
>
> P2: major features, windows port, contributions by several new companies,
> work with OSDL. 4-5 lines, again.
>
> List: Major features:
> Windows Port
>         Savepoints
>         PITR
>         Tablespaces
>         Memory/I/O overhaul
>         Planner improvements
> -- each of the above should include 10 to 20 words about what the feature is
> and why people should be excited about it.

I think this one could also include references to the company (or
companies) that helped make the new features happen ... I note you do
mention the various companies in P2 above, but figured you were seperating
the P2 stuff from List stuff?

----
>From pgsql-advocacy-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org Wed Aug 18 16:24:25 2004
> I think this one could also include references to the company (or
> companies) that helped make the new features happen ... I note you do
> mention the various companies in P2 above, but figured you were seperating
> the P2 stuff from List stuff?

Not necessarily, either approach would be fine. In fact, I'd love so see
alternate ideas for what to put in P2. What P2 needs to say is "why this
new release is exiting" non-specific to the features involved (since some
members of the press won't understand the features anyway). Possible ideas
include:

1) growing size of our community (inc. new companies)
2) just a handful of high-end features left and then equal to DB2, Oracle,
etc. (this is probably too similar to last time).
3) increased pace of development, faster than any comparable product/project.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions