Re: stress testing and performance monitoring

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Raphael Bauduin <raphael(dot)bauduin(at)be(dot)easynet(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stress testing and performance monitoring
Date: 2004-08-12 17:27:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

Raphael,

First off, you'll want to subscribe to, and migrate this discussion to, the
PGSQL-PERFORMANCE mailing list.

> I am migrating a database to postgresql, with a data schema change.
> I'd need to do some stress testing (on the db design I have, not
> a general test a la TPC). I'm just starting to look at this,
> and would appreciate any advice on:
> - existing tools (I've seen http://ltp.sourceforge.net/dotshowto.php,
> http://dbmonster.kernelpanic.pl/index.html,http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter
>/ but still need to test them)

Check out Jan's port of TPC-W on pgFoundry, and OSDL has their DBT-1,2,3
tests.

> - links and docs to read on db stress testing

General industry literature?

> I guess the most significant measure is the time needed to complete
> operations (read, insert, delete), but I guess other measurements are
> advisable. I also wonder what I should measure server side. I've read the
> docs on pg_stat*
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING
>-STATS-VIEWS-TABLE), but I don't know how I should interpret results, and
> what I should really pay attention to.

Well, you'll want your tool to measure the completion time of various tasks
and compile it.

Is this on 7.4 or 8.0?

--
Josh Berkus