Re: PGSQL-WINDOWS mailing list?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "PostgreSQL www" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2004-08-12 16:37:59
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave,

> I think the same applies to many *nix users these days now that it's so
> easy to get a copy of Linux and give it a try. Mind you, I don't know
> that it would be 70% any more than you do ;-)

Well, it's a very rough estimate. ;-)
Based mostly on my clients who use Windows.

> Have you used any well admin'ed 2K/2K3 servers? I have roughly equal
> numbers of Linux and Windows 2K/2K3 servers here and get roughly equal
> reliability from both. I get far more hardware problems than OS, and
> they don't care what you're running. Windows may still be riddled with
> security holes, but it is pretty stable these days.

Yes, but unfortunately there are a great number of *badly* adminned Windows
machines out there, and those are the ones I'm talking about.

> Nor would I want to see one in there about how ext-3 is horribly borked
> on Linux 2.6.66.

Yeah, that belongs on -performance ;-)

> I hardly think it's fair to assume that all Windows
> users are too stupid to post in the right place, but *nix users aren't.

Oh, I was basing my suggestions on the current number of Linux/BSD/OSX users
we get who have no idea where to go and, for example, post basic SQL
questions to -Hackers and connection problems to -sql.

> Even if it does look that way in the future, it may well just be because
> there end up being far more Windows users, but with a constant
> percentage of plonkers.

Yep.

> I think I agree with Tom on this one - lets wait and see. It may be that
> a wholesale re-organisation of the lists will be the best option.

If that's the way you feel. However, I don't want this list to lose sight of
the fact that *us* recieving 50-100 extra email/day on some list or another
is a qualitatively different thing from a newbie signing up on NOVICE and
immediately getting hit with 200 e-mails in the first 12 hours. You and I
will wade through that amount of e-mail regardless, because we subscribe to
most of the lists, but for a new user with a Yahoo account on dial-up, its a
fundamentally different thing.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions