Re: best type for unix file system timestamp?

From: jseymour(at)linxnet(dot)com (Jim Seymour)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: best type for unix file system timestamp?
Date: 2004-07-30 23:45:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Mark Harrison <mh(at)pixar(dot)com> wrote:

> So, I'm recording the timestamp from some unix files.
>
> Any opinions as to whether it's best to use a "bigint"
> (which matches the file system data) or a "timestamp"
> (which might be easier to manipulate in the database)?

I tend to choose datatypes that lend themselves to easily and clearly
viewing and manipulating the data with the command-line utility, unless
there's a very good reason to do otherwise.

PostgreSQL has a rich complement of operators and functions for working
with timestamp values, so I'd tend to stick with that, I think.

Jim