Re: surrogate key or not?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon(at)thenilgiris(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: surrogate key or not?
Date: 2004-07-23 17:17:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

Achilleus,

> In other words, with surrogate keys, you eliminate the chance
> that your original design was flawed due to lack of important
> initial knowledge.

Well, you don't *eliminate* it, but you do decrease it.

I'd say, yes, this is an important 4th reason:

4) Your spec may be incorrect and surrogate keys make it easier to make design
changes in production.

Once again, though, this is an *implementation* issue and not a *logic* issue,
as I asserted ...

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions