Re: ecpg -D SYMBOL

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Luke McFarlane <luke(at)fisheye(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ecpg -D SYMBOL
Date: 2004-07-20 18:23:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 03:49:14PM +1000, Luke McFarlane wrote:
> When defining a symbol on the command line with ecpg -D SYMBOL the ecpg
> preprocessor will replace that symbol with empty space in 'C' program
> space rather than limiting it to 'SQL' program space.

This indeed is a bug, but ecpg has never been designed to limit symbols
to SQL space. You're absolutely right that it should not use empty
space. I just fixed that in CVS. Now it correctly uses "1".

> It shouldn't touch anything outside EXEC SQL.

Why? That means you have to define most things twice.

> Also, if you try to fool ecpg by compiling with ecpg -D SYMBOL=SYMBOL it
> will sit in an infinite loop gobbling as much virtual memory as it sees fit.

Ah yes, another bug.

I just committed a fix for this as well.

All fixes went into HEAD and 7.4.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes